Sunday, June 22, 2008

Emergencia Social

Hello Friends! Or stalkers! or both "fralkers"!

To be super lame - or super cool? I have elected to start a blog of my spanish adventures, partially to keep those of you who need me to survive (sumantra) updated and to keep some kind of log of what I have done day to day for future reference.

I will try to be interesting and funny, but I have no guarantees of anything, especially not spelling or gramatical correctness. So let´s begin!

Day 1: June 20, 2008.
I arrived at Barajas Airport only to wait an hour for my luggage, the 3rd last off the plane. I then made the unbelievable trek across the airport to the airport subway station, not exaggerating at all, at least a mile. My parents can attest to this fact. I then made my way to Gran Via, the stop I thought was closest to my hostel, not really, another kilometer of walking, but I am thinking gleefully of the calories that I am burning.

I get to Hostal Buenos Aires on Gran Via, and try to understand the sign on the elevator, which I have now come to understand means "It is strictly forbidden to put heavy luggage in here, use the back elevator" thinking that the sign means "It is strictly forbidden for you AND your luggage to ride in here... *something I don´t understand*" I toss in my bags into the elevator and run up the two flights of stairs to meet them, unfortunately, I miss it and the elevator continues up with my baggage (that has my wallet and passport in it) to the 5th floor where other people get in and ride down to the ground floor with my luggage. Petrified that someone is making off with my very heavy things, I start pressing all the buttons I can and eventually the elevator arrives at my floor, with my things unharmed. I checked in a proceed to shower and bathe. What an ordeal! Day 1 evening and day 2 and 3 to come....

K-tizzle

2 comments:

SDR said...

This is ground control to Major Kate:

my life has been pretty event free for the last 72 hours (other than karaoke at the gladstone which i will tell you later)
texting me at 10am would mean you're up at 4am??
sounds like you're having fun...maybe invest in a spanish-english dictionary ...

Kate said...

You have that backwards, 10am there is 4pm here. Although I have been up late, not that late...