Thursday, June 26, 2008

Voy a la Playa: El Puig

Day 7: Thursday, June 26, 2008.

It is beach day at last! I made the trek from downtown Valencia, up to El Puig, a small beach suburb, north of the city on the coast. Though I made it to the metro with no problems, my notion that there would be available taxis once I got here was ill-conceived. After waiting for about 20 minutes to see if one might come by, I called three taxi companies in Valencia that I knew the number of. Two said it was too far out of the city, and one said someone was coming in 15 minutes. 40 minutes later, I called my hotel to see if they could help me, and alas, they gave me the number for the in-town taxi service. 5 minutes later, someone in a sedan arrived at the subway station in an unmarked sedan and honked and pointed at me. Apparently this was the taxi. It seemed a little sketch, but it was about a million degrees and I had called a taxi... I got into this possibly unlicensed taxi and he gave me his card, apparently this is the sole taxi in this little town. He dropped me off at my hotel safely and was prompt, so all in all, excellent service, but maybe he could get a sign?

I have just had lunch and I am going to go see the monastery then go lie on the beach for several hours. I´ll let you know how that goes later, and post that photo of St.Vincent´s arm in its little glass box (that is actually the reliquary, the arm is the relic). Unfortunately I opted not to pack my giant beach hat, so I´ll have to figure out something else.

Chau
K-bonita (say it out loud, it sounds like "que bonita" translation = "how beautiful", nice)

No comments: