Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Valencia to the Max

As the internet is free here, and I like to chill out at the end of the day before dinner, I am here to give you an update:

Day 6: Wednesday, June 25, 2008.

Well, I didn´t exactly hit the morning with a bang like I was hoping, but it mattered not, as I managed to pack in one heck of a day! I woke up at 10:45, then scurried into the kitchen at the hostel to get the last of what was available for breakfast. After toast and cereal, I got dressed and headed out for my day.

First stop - the market. Apparently, the Valencia market has been the largest of its kind in Europe since the 30´s when it was built. I wandered around and had memories of the markets in Barcelona we visited two years ago. Every animal part imaginable on display, and sometimes, disturbingly posed. Though tempting, I passed up the oportunity to buy these facinating meat products and instead got a huge container of figs. (Which I plan to eat while watching a DVD later) Quick coffee and fresh orange juice (Valencia, remember?) and off I go again.

There used to be a river surrounding Valencia, but in 1957 it flooded and Valencia was trapped in 2m of water. There were many deaths, and it was considered a diaster, so, the city elected to divert the river, and dry the river bed. It has since been converted into a park with bicycle paths and gardens. Thinking about Chand´s words yesterday, I walked from the market through the park and to the art museum.

At the Museo De Bellas Artes, lots and lots and lots of religious paintings, I know it is Spain, but this museum was like 75% Christian paintings and 25% other stuff. Some very interesting pieces. Also, I got yelled at by a security guard, but I am not sure for what. I think because I was carrying an empty water bottle. I am not sure if she thought I was going to damage the paintings with my bottle of air, but I put it in my bag any how.

I took a stroll through the royal gardens and was almost approached by another weirdo, but I said "No hablo" and ran away. I am learning as I go, Spain (and apparently France too) is swarming with North African men between the ages of 18ish-40ish who are not really gainfully employed, and are interested in harassing tourists for money, or companisonship, etc. During the day they are in parks, and at night, many of them sell do-dads. I hate to say it, but I am coming to understand why European countries are having such immigration issues, as there isn´t exactly a smooth integration into society. I am not sure why. Thoughts?

After escaping the park, and learning to stay in areas where there are Spaniards and other tourists, I headed to El Ciudad Des Artes y Ciencoas, which is the Valencia Science Centre, Art Museum, Aquarium and archetectural marvel all in one. I only did the Science Centre part. I was incredibly impressed by the architecture and not much else. Not all of the exhibits were translated, and though I love science, the dumming down of science into little displays does not interest me. Wooo magnets! As well, stuff like that is generally more fun if you are with people. I did get to see a nobel prize for medicine, which was pretty cool.

I hopped in a cab, and got to the Santa Iglesia Catedral de Valencia, right at 6:30pm, when it has free entry. I actually saw my first reliquary in the flesh. lol. St. Vincent´s arm, pretty gross. Also I saw some bones, though I am not entirely sure to whom they belong. Next I walked up the 207 very steep stairs of El Miguelete (the bell tower of the cathedral) and almost had a small episode of angina pectoris at the top. The view was worth it, and the thought that now I could have a little more tapas once I came down. Side note, the khaki capris that didn´t fit when I left, fit once again - so I will continue to take the stairs.

When I descended from the tower, I purchased my fake wedding ring to wear while I am out and about, though I need to go to a dollar store to get the engagement ring to go with it. (What good is a farce if it isn´t convincing?) I will look for something pointy so that I can use it as Jay suggests, if need be. Why didn´t I bring my bear spray to Spain with me?

Then I came back, bathed, did some laundry (notably my horrenously stinky black capris - the designated travelling pants), and wrote this blog. Now to get a donair, pop in a DVD, and eat those figs!

Talk to you soon fralkers! and falkers! (family)

K-block-tica-toc

No comments: