Tuesday, July 8, 2008

One Week of Camp is Over... but not soon enough

Yes, I am still alive and continuing my Spanish adventure, though just barely.

Camp Weeks 1 and some of 2: June 29 - August 8

I think that most reading this know, however I am sure some don´t, that in order to finance some of this trip, I elected to work for the same company I worked for two years ago, as a camp counsellor here in Spain. In the interest of not being sued for libel (though I assure you all my statements are true) I have chosen not to name this company, as I don´t have many glowing things to say about them.

My job is to be the arts and crafts workshop coordinator as well as, an English-speaking monitor to run games for the kids and generally ensure their well being. Sounds like not a bad deal, right? Not so much, it is an incredibly disorganized company that hires inexperienced people, does most things at the last minute and has a very small staff:camper ratio. I know what you are thinking, partially because some of you have already said it to me. "You fool ,if it is so bad, why the hell did you go back?", and my answer is,
"Well for a number of reasons:
1. I am an idiot
2. My last experience, thought difficult, never drove me to tears.
3. I really wanted to come back to Spain and didn´t have any money.
4. I thought that since I knew how it was bad, I could mentally prepared myself for it, and as well make some changes to the way I approached it."

So far it has been rough, though I am especially upset at this moment because the last two days have been even worse. The children are all from wealthy families and don't really listen to anything that is said. They are given their cell phones for half and hour everyday, so if there is anything they don't like about the camp, they tell their parents and their parents call the next day. This policy also vastly increases home sickness, because they are always being reminded of home, and what is happening there.

The thing that really makes this camp more difficult that the last (the two factors mentioned above were also present at my last camp) is that the staff is not as strong. The director is young and inexperienced and doens't command respect from the children or even all the staff, and one of the staff members is a princess-like bitch, who, though I have made efforts not to, I got into a fight with yesterday. I think we will be able to keep our distance from one another, but on top of how stressful and tiring it already is, a fight is not what is needed right now.

It is not all bad though, we are in a beautiful beach town, and go to the beach everday, there are hoards of English tourists here so there are English newspapers and magazines, along with stores that offer exciting amenities like Heinz ketchup (necessary because we eat french fries everyday). Also, though I detest one of the staff members, the rest I really like and will miss when camp ends. Especially José who is leaving this weekend, to return to his actual job outside of Madrid. I could write an entire entry about the joy of knowing this flamboyant spanish character, but I have no time right now, and that seems like it would be a little excessive.

Okay, I will update you again when I can and hopefully I wont complain so much

K-tired-and-sunburnt

P.S. Also good, except for losing my voice from yelling at the kids, I am not sick!!!

No comments: